Each year, a new hair trend floods our feeds. From bright colours to chops and accessories, there’s always some sort of hairstyle bandwagon to jump on. However, this year, the must-have hair trend differs slightly. Instead of changing up your look, it focuses on working with what you’ve got for your best possible strands. Enter: the skinification of hair. If this is your first time coming across this term, the skinification of hair is basically the influence of skincare on our haircare. This means paying more attention to the best ingredients for healthy hair and focussing on the quality of these ingredients. Let’s discuss.
What are the best ingredients for healthy hair?
Whether we’ve realised it or not, we’ve been gradually leaning towards the skinification of hair for quite some time now. We’ve already pinpointed the ingredients we know can be damaging to the hair, such as the sulphates that strip our strands of their natural oil and silicone build up which repels the moisture that the hair needs to be kept supple and healthy.
But nobody likes to focus on the negatives, so what are the best ingredients for healthy hair? Here’s just a few:
- Niacinamide: This is a key ingredient if you’re looking to boost your hair growth. Niacinamide helps to promote blood flow which brings more oxygen and nutrients to the hair follicles, giving those strands a push to get moving. Plus, it also boosts keratin production, the protein behind fuller, thicker hair.
- Caffeine: Just like how an iced latté can wake us up on warm summer mornings, caffeine in hair products gives the roots a kickstart, helping to increase that density and growth.
- Hyaluronic acid: While it may already be sitting firmly in your skincare, hyaluronic acid is also one of the best ingredients for healthy hair and hydration. Consider your flakes tackled and strands moisturised!
- Rice protein: This strengthening ingredient contains vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and amino acids. It’s no wonder it helps to repair damaged hair and improve elasticity.
- AHA’s: or Alpha Hydroxy Acids, are exfoliants that can cleanse pores, maintain balanced oil production and help our skin breathe.
Do you need scalp products?
You can find some of these best ingredients for healthy hair in the majority of the Grow Gorgeous haircare, from the caffeine-enriched intensifying shampoo and conditioner to repairing, niacinamide-based masks. This leaves us with the question: do you need scalp products too?
The short answer is yes, as a truly healthy head of hair always starts at the scalp.
If your strands are looking dull and your roots feel heavy, you will find that you do need a scalp product to renew your hair’s surface. This is where a Purifying AHA 5% Booster + Prebiotic comes into play, as the gentle chemical exfoliant eliminates excess product build-up, helps remove dead skin cells and refines the appearance of the scalp.
Meanwhile, if your scalp tends to get oily and flat, you’ll need the Volumising Niacinamide 10% Booster + Prebiotic to add some volume and hydration.
Finally, if you’re looking to increase the density of your hair, you will need a scalp product such as the Hair Growth Serum Intense. This serum has been designed to be applied directly onto the scalp and hairline and works to increase the thickness of each strand by up to 13%!